Welcome to the official blog of Girl Scouts of Northern California!

Your blog for all things GSNorCal!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cookie Customer Praises the Selfless Character Shown by Santa Clara Girl Scout


This wonderful letter was sent to a troop leader in Santa Clara by a cookie customer who was so impressed with the Girl Scout Cadette who knocked on her door that she wanted to share her story about Kylie. Cheers for Kylie for living the Girl Scout Law and being "a sister to every Girl Scout" - and thanks to the thousands of other Girl Scouts who are making positive impressions in your communities!

Do you have a great Girl Scout story? You can share your good news about Girl Scouts by emailing social@girlscoutsnorcal.org. And remember, you can find cookies from Girl Scouts of Northern California girls until March 16, 2014 using our Online Cookie Locator at iLoveCookies.org.

Dear Troop Leader 60110,

I would like to share an encounter I recently had with one of the young ladies in your troop. Let me start off by saying that I have been buying Girl Scout cookies for several years. The girls I interact with are daughters of friends, nearby neighbors and some are complete strangers, but all are very friendly. However, I have never come across a Girl Scout more deserving of my support until this week.

Kylie is a young lady who always greets you with a smile on her face and is usually bestowing a positive attitude. She and a fellow Girl Scout came to my house this past week to sell your beloved cookies. My doorway brightened up with Kylie’s smile and I really did not want to turn her down, but I had bought some cookies a few days prior and had promised to purchase more from another friend’s daughter. I explained this to Kylie and although her smile diminished (understandably so), her reply was, “That’s okay. I understand. Thanks for supporting US.” I closed the door, thought a moment about how she was spending her weekend evening going door-to-door selling cookies and about her response to me and went out to find her. I ended up buying some cookies from her that night and again a few days later.

I understand the goal of Girl Scouts of the USA is to build young ladies with courage, confidence and character to make the world a better place, and that each girl is to live by the Girl Scout Law. With the guidance of her parents and the troop leaders, I feel Kylie encompasses the qualities the organization wants to instill in every young lady. It takes courage and confidence to go selling cookies without your parent by your side and it takes someone (especially a pre-teen) with character to think about someone other than herself, or in this case, her troop. Kylie was thinking of the rest of her “sisters” with her response about “supporting us.” Kudos to Kylie ...

Warm regards,
A Girl Scouts of the USA Supporter

No comments:

Post a Comment