Welcome to the official blog of Girl Scouts of Northern California!

Your blog for all things GSNorCal!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Girl Testimonials: Janette & Cinthya Share How our Hispanic Initiative Has Changed Their Lives!

Attendees at our 2013 Annual Meeting on Saturday had the pleasure of hearing from Janette and Cinthya, two of our Half Moon Bay Girl Scouts in our Hispanic Initiative, about the ways that they've grown through Girl Scouting. We wanted to share their inspirational stories with you! 

JANETTE'S STORY

Hi. My name is Janette and I live at the Moonridge Apartments in Half Moon Bay.

Girl Scouts changed my life and I am so proud to be a Girl Scout!

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister. My dad works in construction and my mom plants flowers in an agricultural company.

I started Girl Scouts when I was in 3rd grade. The older girls would help us do activities and I knew that I wanted to help when I was older too. Now my mom says I'm mature.

Now I am in 8th grade and I finished Girl Scout Program Aide Training where I learned to work with younger girls. I help them with science, writing, crafts, and prepare their snacks.

I have so much fun at Girl Scouts going on fields trips to watch birds at the beach and camping overnight for the first time at Camp Butano Creek. This past month, we went to the Academy of Science and learned about animals and plants. In Girl Scouts I get to go places I usually don't get to go to.

Girl Scouts has made me a more responsible person and better at school.
"Helping is what I love to do and when I grow up, I want to be a Girl Scout leader."

CINTHYA'S STORY

Hi. I am Cinthya. I am in 5th grade and I also live at the Moonridge Apartments. I am a Girl Scout Program Aide like Janette.

I have 4 brothers and 1 sister. My mom is a housekeeper and my dad works at an agricultural company.

Girl Scouts has made a big difference in my life.

I have been in Girl Scouts since the 2nd grade. My mom says that since I have been in Girl Scouts I get into less trouble, my grades are better, and I am a better person. I agree with her!

It has been fun leading activities and helping the younger girls with reading, writing, science, and art.

Before I was shy and not really outgoing but now I am more confident. I helped direct a play based on the book "The Little Red Hen" that we performed in front of our parents. I would not have been able to do that before Girl Scouts.

Last summer, I did the Girls Go Tech program and got the opportunity to go to Santa Clara University and learn about robots and moviemaking. It was really fun and we learned a lot. Now I know I want to be a teacher just like my Girl Scout leader, Marisol.
"My mom says that since I have been in Girl Scouts I get into less trouble, my grades are better, and I am a better person. I agree with her!"

No comments:

Post a Comment